So, you’re on the lookout for the best free online survey tools?
Sit back. Take that sip of your lemonade, and relax. Because your search ends here.
Presenting to you the 14 best online survey tools and apps of 2023. Survey creators that fetch feedback from the target audience, help you identify what works and what doesn’t, and shed light on how to improve the overall experience.
From gathering customer feedback and product feedback to conducting market research and employee engagement surveys, these free online survey makers can help you derive business insights.
Here’s what we’ll cover in the blog:
What to look for in an Online Survey Tool?
Before going through the best online survey platforms, let us first understand the important aspects to consider when one is looking for an online survey tool.
Easy Survey Creation – Choose a survey tool with an easy-to-use interface for creating surveys and questionnaires, including white-labeling options.
Survey Sharing Options – A survey tool must offer multiple sharing options like email, SMS, social sharing, QR codes, and audience targeting for specific demographics.
Data Security – Prioritize the security of collected data. Ensure the tool complies with HIPAA for healthcare data and GDPR for European data protection.
Data Visualization – Opt for a tool with an intuitive dashboard, offering various chart types and widgets for flexible data analysis.
Advanced Features – Consider features like ticket management, scalability, mobile-friendliness, and pricing that align with your specific needs.
Customer Reviews – Check user reviews on platforms like G2, Capterra, and Trustpilot to assess real-world experiences and compare features.
Third-Party Integration – Ensure the chosen survey tool supports necessary integrations. Integrating a survey tool with third-party apps like Google Sheets or ticket management platforms enhances usability.
Now, let’s continue to explore the best online survey tool options to empower your data collection efforts.
14 Best Online Survey Tools and Apps of 2023
So, here are the best online survey creators to look for in 2023.
- Google Forms
- Alchemer (Previously SurveyGizmo)
- Zoho Survey
- Shout (Previously Kwik Surveys)
- SoGoSurvey by Sogolytics
1. SurveySparrow: Best for Conversational Surveys
One of the best free survey tools, SurveySparrow lets you turn boring surveys into pleasant conversations. This free survey maker assists you in creating surveys that are extremely engaging and present a chat-like experience from the comfort of your smartphone.
Let’s look at some of the features offered by this survey platform and why it is one of the best online survey software in the market.
- Free online surveys: Send customer surveys or NPS surveys that are multi-device compatible.
- White label surveys: Create memorable branded surveys with your logo, font, and colors.
- Customizable surveys: With custom CSS and 1000+ vibrant survey templates.
- NPS benchmark: Benchmark your NPS score. Compare your NPS scores against the best companies in your sector.
- Performance appraisals: Drive employee development with 360-degree feedback software
- Survey Dashboard: Gain rich insights into key metrics with a vibrant dashboard.
- Employee engagement surveys: Send employee satisfaction surveys and customer feedback surveys. Check employee pulse and customer pulse.
- Chatbot for websites: Set up fast and friendly customer care with conversational bots.
- Compatibility: Integrate your surveys with hundreds of business tools for seamless experience management.
- Action automation: Save time with automated survey workflows, recurring surveys, and offline surveys.
- Survey channels: Capture data from multiple touchpoints like email, QR code, website, and SMS
Sign up to try all of SurveySparrow’s features for free.
14-Day Free Trial • No Credit Card Required • No Strings Attached
The friendly Conversational User Interface (CUI) resembles the respondent as a messaging app. You can either choose a template or build one from scratch. You also have options such as Display Logic, Drag and Drop, and many more to keep it interesting for the respondents. Reasons enough to make SurveySparrow one of the best survey tools for your business.
With the built-in automation of SurveySparrow, you can schedule re-surveying at regular intervals and share the results across all the channels with their respective audience. You can also comprehend the data collected much more easily, thanks to the analytic reports and insights provided by SurveySparrow. A cool online survey tool, through and through. And affordable too! You’ll have all the right reasons to love SurveySparrow.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 1800+ reviews
Pricing starts at $19 per month. SurveySparrow also has plans specifically for CX and 360 performance appraisals.
2. Typeform: Best for neat UX
Typeform is a SaaS company that lets users build sleek survey forms. It runs smoothly on all devices and has a unique interface showing only one question at a time. In addition, the Typeform editor enables you to drag and drop the form fields into your chosen spots.
So whether you’re looking to gather customer feedback, conduct market research, or get to know your audience better, Typeform – a conversational online survey tool, makes it easy and enjoyable. While we are on the topic of choice, why don’t you check out these top Typeform alternatives?
- Conversational format: Make surveys more fun to answer with a conversational and interactive format.
- Template gallery: Quickly match your brand and style with a gallery of customizable templates.
- Conditional logic: Use branching surveys to ask more personalized, relevant questions.
- Developer portal: Use Typeform’s APIs and dev tools to build your survey system from scratch.
- Advanced question types: Choose from multi-choice, rating scales, image choices, and more.
- Integrations: Typeform integrates with many other tools, including Google Sheets, Slack, and Mailchimp.
- Responsive design: Typeform surveys are designed to work on any device, from desktop to mobile.
- Analytics and reporting: Turn your survey results into actionable insights with real-time analytics and reports.
G2 Rating – 4.5 out of 5 based on 630+ reviews
‘Core plan’, the free version of Typeform comes with features such as unlimited questions and answers, custom-designed themes, data export options as well as ready-made templates and basic reporting features for the fast-paced world.
Typeform “Basic Plan” starts at$25 per month.
3. Qualaroo – Best for In-App Surveys
Qualaroo is a powerful online survey tool with a no-code builder to create different online surveys and questionnaires in minutes. It offers a variety of features to enable businesses to start collecting customer feedback in real time.
Qualaroo comes with surveys such as NPS, CSAT, CES, Exit-intent, etc., so you can collect diverse feedback with the incredible features mentioned below.
- Question Bank: Get started with a pre-designed comprehensive question bank with all types of survey questions you need.
- Personalize Your Surveys: Customize surveys to align with your brand and maintain consistency.
- Multilingual Support: Supports 130+ languages to help global companies collect feedback.
- Targeted Surveys: Ask the right people at the right time using advanced targeting capabilities.
- Intelligent Logic: Utilize branching and skip logic to create personalized survey experiences.
- Understanding Sentiment: Gain a deeper understanding of respondents’ feelings and opinions. Drive qualitative insights by analyzing sentiment from collected feedback.
- NPS Tracking Made Easy: Automate Net Promoter Score (NPS) calculation within the tool. Access an intuitive dashboard to monitor and track NPS scores.
- Advanced Reporting: Utilize advanced reporting features to analyze survey results visually – easily export survey data in CSV and other formats for further analysis.
G2 Rating – 4.4 based on 40+ reviews
Qualaroo doesn’t have a free plan. But it does offer a 14-day free trial.
Also, Qualaroo has paid plans for startups, growing businesses, and enterprises. contextual surveys, email surveys, and contextual + email surveys. For an extra $300 per year, you can access their white labeling feature package.
4. HubSpot: Best for Customer Service
HubSpot is an all-in-one CRM that allows you to create customizable surveys using Hubspot Service Hub. The responses can be easily synced with your customer database. Additionally, HubSpot provides a suite of free marketing tools, including a form builder, a drag-and-drop builder to create standalone, pop-up, embedded, and other online forms and surveys to collect and store contact details and customer feedback.
For forms, you can start building custom forms or start with a premade template. With HubSpot’s free CRM tools, you get access to their forms, email, prospect tracking, customer service live chat, and even a meeting scheduler. With HubSpot, you don’t stop with forms but get access to a wide range of business operation tools.
- Lead Generation and Management: Embed surveys and forms on your website, collect valuable information about your visitors, and turn them into leads. Make the most out of data by segmenting the leads within the platform.
- Email Marketing Automation: Send targeted and personalized emails based on the survey responses. Create dynamic email workflows triggered by specific survey answers.
- Analytics and Reporting: Monitor response rates, analyze trends, and gain insights into the feedback you receive. Understand your audience better, identify areas for improvement, and make data-driven decisions.
- Integration and CRM: Integrate with third-party applications and platforms, CRM provides a centralized hub to store and organize survey responses, contact information, and other customer data. Streamline and align your survey data with your overall marketing and sales strategies.
In addition, HubSpot offers users email, prospect tracking, live chat, and a meeting scheduler – all of which can be used to improve business operations.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 2000+ reviews
HubSpot’s form builder is free, with added functionalities in their premium plans. The starter plan is $18 per month
5. SurveyMonkey: Best for survey reports
One of the well-known online survey tools, SurveyMonkey provides its users with 15 diverse types of survey questions – including Likert scales, multiple-choice, open-ended, and rating scales.
SurveyMonkey has features that aid you in collecting data online and offline through mobile devices. This survey creator also has features that enable you to generate reports, analyze, and back up survey data.
- Easy To Create Surveys: User-friendly interface for creating surveys. Use customizable templates and a drag-and-drop editor to create professional-looking surveys.
- Survey Sharing and Collection: Share surveys via email, social media, website embedding, and SMS. Use customizable survey URLs to share surveys with your target audience. Collect responses in real time, track response rates, and set up automatic reminders.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: Generate real-time reports with charts and graphs, filter and segment responses, and export data in various formats. Text analysis tool to extract insights from open-ended responses.
- Third-Party Integrations: Integrate CRM systems, email marketing platforms, and data analysis software.
However, it lacks a feature that makes it less suitable for measuring overall satisfaction or re-surveying customers after an interval. Maybe, you should look up the top SurveyMonkey alternatives as well?
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 18500+ reviews
With SurveyMonkey’s free plan, you can add 10 questions per survey, view 10 responses per survey, and use a maximum of 3 ways to share surveys
They also offer individual, team, and enterprise plans. The standard team plan, suitable for small enterprises, is priced at $18 per user per month.
6. Qualtrics: Best for Advanced Analytics
A powerful online survey app, Qualtrics pushes the limitations of traditional surveys. Qualtrics offers around 100+ types of questions and various ready-made survey templates.
They don’t stop with that – they have enabled features such as logic branching, email triggers, and display logic for a pleasant experience. You can also choose from over 30 different graph types and export results to CSV or SPSS in their real-time web reports.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Share surveys with team members, assign roles and permissions, and track changes.
- Website Intercepts: Display targeted surveys or messages to visitors on your website. Engage with users at specific touchpoints, such as when they arrive on your site, navigate to a particular page, or exhibit specific behaviors. Trigger surveys based on various criteria, such as time spent on the site, scroll depth, exit intent, or specific URL visits.
- In-App Embed: Integrate surveys and feedback prompts within your mobile applications. Collect feedback from app users at specific points in their app journey.
- Interactive Dashboard: Drill down into specific data points by clicking on a graph. View individual survey responses associated with that data point. Understand a granular view of participant feedback.
- Automation and Workflows: Create automated email triggers based on specific survey responses, send follow-up surveys, or trigger actions in other systems based on survey data.
- TextIQ: Analyze large volumes of open-text data through advanced natural language processing and machine learning algorithms. Understand the key themes, sentiments, and topics that matter most to your customers and employees.
All these advanced features make Quatrics one of the most suitable online survey tools at an enterprise level.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 500+ reviews
With Qualtrics’ free plan, you get access to 3 active surveys, 8 question types, 500 responses/survey, 30 questions per survey
For paid plans, you’ll need to contact and get a quote.
7. Google Forms: 100% Free Survey Tool
Google Forms, is one of the best free survey tools; it lets you assemble surveys quickly and easily via their convenient drag & drop interface.
You can customize the design of the surveys. Moreover, the platform also provides you with real-time response information and charts. The added bonus is that the collected data can be synced with other Google products.
Regarding features, Google Forms offers nearly all the functionalities you would expect from a survey tool. However, the best part is that all of these features are free of charge.
- Integration with Google Workspace: Seamlessly integrates with other Google Workspace tools, such as Google Sheets and Google Drive. Responses are automatically collected in a Google Sheet.
- Easy-to-Use Interface: User-friendly and intuitive interface to create surveys and forms. The drag-and-drop functionality and simple question editor streamline the process.
- Versatile Question Types: A variety of question types, including multiple-choice, checkboxes, dropdowns, linear scales, and more, to capture specific data.
- Collaboration with Add-ons: Supports add-ons that enable you to integrate with other tools for data validation, advanced reporting and analytics, email notifications, and more.
- Quiz Maker: Google Forms serves as an excellent quiz maker too especially for educational professionals.
G2 Rating – 4.5 out of 5 based on 2700+ reviews
You can use Google Forms for free.
8. Alchemer: Best for Automation
An easy-to-use survey tool, that is what Alchemer (previously SurveyGizmo) is. It also has pretty good automation capabilities, such as piping answers to new questions, sending emails/notifications based on responses, etc.
In addition, Alchemer provides a wide variety of question types and filtering options to ensure the proper questions are being asked.
However, the pricing is rather steep, and the reporting needs some work. Despite the unpopular pricing, Alchemer still remains one of the best survey apps in the market.
- Advanced Survey Logic and Branching: Create highly dynamic and personalized survey experiences with conditional branching, skip logic, question piping, randomization, and quota control.
- Extensive Question and Response Options: Advanced question options include heatmaps, slider bars, and advanced matrices. Gather specific feedback from respondents, hence nuanced data collection.
- Customization and White Labeling: Apply custom themes, add your branding elements, and white label your surveys.
- Robust Reporting and Analytics: Generate real-time reports with customizable charts, graphs, and data visualizations. Perform data segmentation, cross-tabulation, and text analysis.
- Automation and Integration: Integrates with popular tools like Salesforce, Slack, and Google Analytics, allowing you to sync data across platforms and maximize the value of your survey data.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 800+ reviews
Alchemer offers a 7-day free trial. Their self-service survey plans start at $55 per user per month. This plan is suitable for simple polls and surveys for individuals.
For enterprise solutions, you’ll have to request a demo.
9. QuestionPro: Best for polls
One of the leading online survey tools, QuestionPro helps you create efficient surveys, polls, and quizzes within minutes. The shareable, robust analytical reports make it great for business enterprises.
Apart from the basic features that all online survey tools have, here are some special features of QuestionPro
- Conjoint Analysis: Understand how different attributes or features of a product or service impact respondents’ preferences. Simulate real-world purchasing scenarios, and evaluate trade-offs.
- MaxDiff Analysis: Identify the most and least preferred options within a set of items or features. Simplify the process of designing and analyzing MaxDiff surveys, and get valuable insights for decision-making.
- Workforce and Employee Engagement Solutions: Offers a set of features like employee feedback surveys, pulse surveys, onboarding surveys, and 360-degree feedback assessments designed explicitly for workforce and employee engagement.
- Question Types: More than 35 question types, including advanced ones like dynamic lookup tables, semantic sliders, captcha verification, heatmap, etc.
G2 Rating – 4.5 out of 5 based on 800+ reviews
QuestionPro’s free ‘Essentials’ plan offers 20+ survey templates, skip logic, a customizable ‘thank you’ page, raw data export, and 24/7 email support. They also offer a 10-day trial with additional features. QuestionPro pricing starts at $99 per month. For their team and enterprise-level plans, contact them to get a quote.
10. Zoho Survey: Best for Zoho Suite Users
Zoho Survey is an easy-to-use online survey and questionnaire-building software. It has a rich array of features and is a highly user-friendly tool. It works seamlessly as long as your needs are basic.
Apart from features like easy-to-customize, survey sharing, team collaboration, charts, and graphs, what sets Zoho Surveys apart is its seamless collaboration with all Zoho Suite products. Here’s a glimpse of what you can accomplish with Zoho Surveys:
- Integrate with Zoho CRM: Capture survey responses and map them to leads or contacts in your CRM system. Enrich customer profiles, track responses, and gain insights to enhance customer engagement and lead nurturing.
- Automate Workflows: With Zoho Flow, automate actions based on survey responses, such as triggering email notifications, updating CRM records, or sending follow-up surveys.
- Analytics: Import data into Zoho Analytics and perform in-depth analysis, generate advanced reports, and gain deeper insights into survey responses.
- Create Campaigns: Integrate survey responses with your email marketing campaigns with Zoho Campaigns and create targeted email lists based on survey data.
- Project Management: Streamline project-related data collection and analysis with Zoho Projects.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 800+ reviews
Zoho’s Forms Free plan gives you access to 3 forms with unlimited reports, 500 submissions per month, 10 payments, and 200 MB file storage.
The basic paid plan starts at $8/month.
11. Shout (former Kwik): Best for quick surveys
Shout (formerly Kwik Surveys) is quick, no surprises there! It is a very user-friendly tool and anyone can seamlessly create a survey with the least effort.
On another note, upgrades don’t come cheap with this survey maker and the customizing options aren’t many. Shout Surveys are often labeled as boring because it is way too simple than is necessary.
- Integrated CRM: Offers an integrated CRM to connect feedback to contacts, enabling import of contact lists, capturing leads with forms, and tracking lawful data processing.
- White Label Surveys: Provides white label surveys for complete branding control, along with advanced design features and responsive surveys across all devices.
- Shout Teams: Enables collaborative project management, shared plan features, and efficient teamwork on surveys, quizzes, forms, and reports.
- Reports & Insights: – offers compliance-enabled reports for data-driven decision-making, providing real-time data collection, filtering, comparison, tracking of email performance, and role-based data access control while prioritizing privacy and compliance.
G2 Rating – 4.1 out of 5 based on 14 reviews
Shout.com offers a 14-day free trial. Additionally, their pricing starts at $12.99 / month.
12. JotForm: Best for survey templates
JotForm is one of the leading creative online form builder apps known for its intuitiveness and ease of use. With fairly decent analytics and integrations, JotForm combines powerful features in its online form.
- Form Calculation: Perform complex mathematical calculations within your forms. Calculate totals, scores, or discounts based on user inputs.
- Conditional PDFs: Dynamically create personalized PDF reports, certificates, invoices, or any other type of document based on the form responses, providing a tailored experience for form respondents.
- HIPAA Compliance: Ensures that the form submissions and data transmission adhere to HIPAA regulations’ strict security and privacy requirements.
- Mobile Forms: Provides a mobile app that allows users to create and manage forms directly from their mobile devices.
- Conditional Logic for Payments: Dynamically change payment amount and options based on user selections or form responses.
G2 Rating – 4.7 out of 5 based on 2300+ reviews
JotForm’s free Starter plan gives you access to 1 user account and 5 forms, 100 responses per month, and 100 fields per form. Their pricing starts with the bronze plan at $34 per month.
13. SurveyLegend: Best for drag-and-drop surveys
SurveyLegend is known for making surveys that are much more pleasing to the eyes. What makes the online survey tool a client favorite is its simple learning curve and easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface, which allows them to build decent surveys in minutes.
- Collaborative Survey Creation: Multiple team members can work on creating surveys. Invite colleagues to collaborate, assign roles and permissions, and track changes made by team members, streamlining the survey creation process.
- Engaging Visual Surveys: Incorporate images, videos, and icons directly into your surveys, making them more engaging and interactive for respondents.
- Survey Templates: Highly customizable survey app with a wide range of templates for easy survey creation.
- Multiple Sharing Options: Email, SMS, and social media, for convenient distribution.
G2 Rating – 4.4 out of 5 based on 460+ reviews
They have a starter plan, which is free forever. Paid plans start at 15$ per month
14. SoGoSurvey by Sogolytics: Best for quizzes
Automating data collection is simply a cakewalk with an online survey tool like SoGoSurvey in place. Apt for small and large enterprises, SogoSurvey lets you painlessly create sophisticated surveys to meet your requirements.
- Panel Management: Create and manage panels of pre-screened respondents for targeted survey distribution. Segment panel members based on demographics, preferences, or past survey responses.
- 360-Degree Feedback: Gather feedback from multiple sources, such as colleagues, supervisors, and subordinates. Useful for performance evaluations, leadership assessments, and employee development initiatives.
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) Surveys: Easily create NPS surveys, calculate scores, and track trends over time, allowing you to gauge customer sentiment and identify areas for improvement.
- Action Planning and Workflow Automation: Create action plans, assign tasks, set deadlines, based on survey results, and track progress directly within the platform.
- API Integration and Customization: Connect survey data with other applications such as CRM systems, analytics platforms, or custom software solutions.
G2 Rating – 4.5 out of 5 based on 70+ reviews
SogoSurvey offers a 10-day free trial and its free plan gives you access to survey templates, multilingual surveys, and real-time reports. Sogosurvey pricing starts at $25 per month.
Online Survey Tools – Table of Comparison
|Survey Tool||Best For||Suitable for Organizations||Free Trial||Free Plan|
|HubSpot||Customer Service||Small, Medium||No||Yes|
|SurveyMonkey||Survey Reports||Small, Medium||No||Yes|
|Qualtrics||Advanced Analytics||Medium, Large||No||Yes|
|Google Forms||General Surveys||All||N/A||Yes|
|Wufoo||Form Building||Small, Medium||Yes||Yes|
|Zoho Survey||Customizable Surveys||All||No||Yes|
|JotForm||Online Form Building||All||No||Yes|
|Microsoft Forms||General Surveys||All||N/A||Yes|
|Survey Legend||Not mentioned||All||Yes||Yes|
|SoGoSurvey||Comprehensive Surveys||Medium, Large||Yes||Yes|
What are online survey tools?
Online survey tools are software platforms that allow users to create, distribute, and analyze surveys. These tools offer a range of question types, sharing options across different channels, real-time data collection, basic to advanced analytics, report generation, integration with other software, automation features, and mobile accessibility. They are widely used across various industries to gain insights and make informed decisions based on data.
What are the types of online survey tools?
Online survey tools can be classified based on their functionality, target audience, and level of customization. Here are some types:
General Survey Tools: These tools provide basic functionalities to create, distribute, and analyze surveys (Google Forms, SurveyMonkey).
Advanced Analytics Tools: They offer sophisticated data analysis and reporting features (Qualtrics).
Form Builders: Primarily used to create forms but can also be used for simple surveys (JotForm, Wufoo).
Feedback Collection Tools: They specialize in collecting customer or employee feedback (Qualaroo).
Automated Survey Tools: They provide automation features for survey distribution and follow-ups (Alchemer).
Mobile Survey Apps: Designed to create and distribute surveys on mobile devices (SurveySparrow).
Enterprise Survey Platforms: These are robust platforms suitable for large organizations with complex survey needs (SoGoSurvey).
Niche or Specialized Survey Tools: Tailored for specific industries or use cases, like market research or academic research.
Self-hosted Survey Tools: These tools require hosting on your server but provide full control over data and customization.
Integration-centric Survey Tools: Designed to integrate seamlessly with other business tools and platforms.
Can I use these survey tools on mobile devices?
Yes, many online survey tools offer mobile accessibility through mobile-responsive designs or dedicated apps. For instance, SurveySparrow, SurveyMonkey, and Google Forms have mobile apps, while Typeform and Microsoft Forms are mobile-responsive, allowing easy use on mobile devices.
Which are some of the best free survey tools?
Here are a few commonly recommended free survey tools along with their notable features:
- Conversational survey interface.
- Custom branding options.
- Multi-device compatibility including mobile apps for offline surveys.
- Unlimited surveys and responses.
- Basic customization and real-time response tracking.
- A limited number of questions and responses in the free plan.
- Variety of question types and user-friendly interface.
- Unique and engaging user interface.
- Basic features with limited responses in the free plan.
- Integration with Microsoft 365 apps.
- Unlimited surveys and responses in the free plan.
Online surveys are the sensory perceptions that detect the pulse and the slightest wave of emotion in user satisfaction. The world is changing rapidly, and everything in it is too. This makes the needs and requirements of the customers more evolved and highly proficient.
When flooded with choices, most customers prefer quality over price. 1st Financial Training Services conducted a survey that showed that 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain; however, 91% of those will leave and never return. These numbers proclaim the criticality of knowing the pulse of your audience effectively.
Everyone is trying to be unique, and no one is unique anymore. It’s getting tougher and tougher to stay in the customer’s mind. Be sure you are not just thinking about what the customer needs now… because there is a high chance that it has already fled the customer’s mind. Prepare and embrace technologies that are meant for tomorrow.
Choose the right online survey tool that works the best for you, and start rolling out online surveys now. Happy surveying!
The key to successful data collection lies in choosing the right online survey software