So, you’re planning this killer event, and you need to know what your audience is thinking. Well, pre-event survey questions are a great place to start.
In this article, we will:
- Learn what a pre-event survey actually does.
- Types of pre-event survey questions + a pre-event survey template you can steal.
- Frequently asked questions about pre-event surveys
What is a pre-event survey?
Pre-event survey questionnaires feedback from your audience on the following areas:
- Audience expectations
- Audience preferences
- Event timings
- Event channel
This information will help your team plan and execute an event that matches, and even exceeds, your audience’s expectations. In other words, think of your event as a product and pre-event surveys as your concept test.
From concept to coordination, match your event to your audience's expectations. Event Planning Template
Get 100 free responses per month!
Ask. Plan. Launch.
From concept to coordination, match your event to your audience's expectations.
Event Planning Template
Get 100 free responses per month!
Types of pre-event survey questions you need to ask your audience
#1. General Pre-Event Survey Questions
The questions below have three goals:
- Learn more about your target audience if you’re planning a corporate event.
- Whether they are new attendees or returning attendees.
- Find out the roadblocks that prevent them from attending.
- What is your name/job title?
- What is the name of your organization?
- Have you registered for the event?
- Please tell us why you will not be attending? (if applicable)
- Did you participate in last year’s event?
- How do you feel about the registration fees/process?
#2. Pre-Event Survey Questions: Participant Expectations
Participant expectations can intensely affect an audience’s satisfaction levels. So these questions are to ensure that these expectations are fully understood. While these expectations might differ based on the event type, there are usually some typical demands.
- First things first – what are you hoping to gain from this event?
- Please rank the following aspects of this event based on how important they are to you.
- Having fun
- Quality and accessible content
- A continuous flow of information
- Hands-on learning
- Swift service and a good event environment
3. What platform do you check most often? We’ll use this to communicate with you.
#3. Pre-Event Survey Questions: Channels
This question type actually has two purposes: Finding out which of your event marketing channels are working best for you. The second is to let you know how your audience prefers to engage with you and which format.
Oh, and do throw in ice-breaker questions just for fun! These questions can help you personalize your messages for each respondent – trust us, they’ll appreciate it.
1. So, how did you hear about this event?
2. Virtual, hybrid or in-person. What type of event do you prefer, and why?
3. Tell us what event format would work the best for you:
4. What song do you like to rock out to when nobody’s watching? (Don’t worry. Your secret’s safe with us.)
#4. Pre-Event Survey Questions: Timing
As they say, timing is everything. Your audience is scheduling some hours out of their precious time for your event. So it makes sense to understand their schedules and know what works for them.
- When do you plan to arrive/login?
- If given a choice, when do you prefer to attend the event?
- How long do you expect the event to be?
#5. Pre-Event Survey Questions: Location
“Yes, cuisine and entertainment are also important factors,” states Jeff Kear at the Planning Pod, “But the venue sets the scene; dictates many choices related to the event; and influences the experiences of your guests probably more than any other factor.”
- Where would you like to have the event?
- What do you think about our chosen location?
- On a scale from 1 to 5, rate the areas below.
- On a scale of 1-5, how accessible is the place?
#6. Pre-Event Survey Questions: Participant Preferences
Keeping up with everyone’s preferences can be a challenge! But these pre-event survey questions will help you plan ahead and provide a welcoming, more personalized experience for each of your guests.
- Which speakers/classes/events are you looking forward to the most?
- Which event information is confusing or hard to find?
- Do you have food allergies or diet preferences we ought to know about?
- Do you have any special needs that we can help accommodate?
Why is pre-event communication with participants necessary?
Pre-event communication with participants is a great way to build buzz around your event. But it is also a golden opportunity to find out exactly what your audience expects. The things you do or don’t do in the pre-planning stage will influence the attendee turnout and later experience. So use pre-event surveys to get the information you need.
What is the first question that needs to be asked before holding an event?
What kind of event are you planning? Is it a limited seat conference, a one-hour webinar, or an informal meetup?
The answer to this question will influence all other factors like topics, keynote speakers, location, budget, and services.
That’s it folks. We hope these pre-event survey questions have you covered. Let us know if there are any we missed out – we’ll put it in the list!
Once the event is over, you can follow up with post-event survey questions to create an even better experience the next time. Happy surveying!